Tuesday 8 November 2011

Critical Appraisal: The Environment.

For this unit I wanted to base my image on something that is close to me and has a deep meaning and connection, and so I chose to base my concept on agriculture.
I wanted to initially show how farming is growing and how it almost becomes a Twenty Four, Seven job, which in some cases isn't far from the truth!
I wanted to show that many farmers have to do what they can to stay working, to keep their Farms running and making a profit - Many farms are going under due to prices, supermarkets, diseases and so on, some are looking for alternative sources of income such as wind farms, which is a completely different genre of farming altogether, but they do what they can.
I wanted a image of fields but in the distance have wind farms operating towering above the landscape denoting how modernisation of the farming world is an every growing way of life.
From old techniques, to modern ways Horses to Horse power!

Farming in the 1900's Operated by Horses. 2 HP

21st Century Farming - Approx. 350 HP 



I wanted to capture tractors working in the field and show that even how massive machines are lost in such a vast expanse of land but this didn't go as planned being the time of year most if not all of the crops, seeds etc have already been planted and left to grow.
With this in mind and after a tutorial I was guided in a slightly different direction, to have my concept on the vastness of a landscape how farming has changed the earth the landscape physically by ploughing up the ground, changing from one colour and texture to another.



John Constable - The Haywain

I briefly looked at John Constable being as I remember this image from childhood and always thinking of it as an idilic life to live, living in the countryside peace and quite out in the fresh air, but a naive view on the farming world I had, it's far from that early mornings late nights long days and even with the use of modern equipment now, it means that more can be done so again more hours not less are spent working the land.




John Darwell - From His Book 'Dark Days'
I looked at some of John Darwells work, after his name was introduced to me during a Tutorial, Although his work really portrays the seriousness and communicates the story very well, he hasn't photographed the Agricultural industry as I want to photograph it, this is the same for many a artist/photographer many photograph animals an I live on an arable Farm and so require no animals in my images.

No comments:

Post a Comment